Nokia Symbian on Android and iPhone

Posted by Boffill Thursday, December 27, 2012

Many Nokia Symbian phone users are not aware how powerful their mobile phones are.  I have been a Nokia Symbian phone user since 2003 when my brother gave me his old Nokia 3650 phone. During that time, I became obsessed on Nokia Symbian phones. The user friendly experience is great and also its functions. I researched online on how to make use of all the possibilities Nokia can gave me and it didn’t failed me. Lots of applications are available online from Video player up to Photo Editor. Social Networking sites are not yet on its limelight back then so most of the applications are only for offline functions. My favorite application before was the SMS Machine where you have an auto-reply on your mobile phone. So if you’re busy doing something, you can let your phone send a reply in every text message you receive to inform the recipient that you are busy or sleeping. Symbian platform have evolved from Symbian S60v1 then theres Symbian S60v2 then the 3rd Edition up to 5th Edition. Now, the most recent version for Symbian is the Symbian S^3 FP2 that runs on Nokia 700, 701 and Nokia 808 Pureview.

Everytime there’s a new Nokia Symbian phone coming out of the market; I always make sure that I am able to test it from a Nokia Store downtown. I always try it myself and see the latest improvement made by Nokia. I haven’t owned a lot of Nokia Symbian phones. I was only limited to Nokia 3650 then the Nokia 6630, next is the Nokia N82 and the last and my latest Nokia phone is the Nokia N8. Some of my friends don’t really know how powerful my Nokia N8 is compared to their Android power mobile phones. The body is awesome slim for me. It fits on my palm so beautifully whenever I use it. The 12MP camera is so awesome.

When I buy a new phone, I always check the camera and also if it has a built in a-GPS. That’s the two most important functions I always check on a new Nokia Symbian Phone. I could still remember when I was at Cebu having a vacation and I was roaming the downtown area until I got lost. I was so shy to ask for the way back to my mother’s workplace until I remember that I have installed Garmin Mobile XT on my phone. I checked the route and followed the built-in voice prompt of Garmin Mobile XT until I was able to get myself back at my mother’s workplace. That made me loved my Nokia phone so much because it saved my day back then.

For me, I don’t agree to what others say that Android is the most powerful platform today. I haven’t seen a Garmin Mobile XT installed on an Android phone. If we’ll talk about camera, Nokia has created the most powerful cameraphone in the world, the Nokia 808 Pureview. Yes it’s true that Google Play can give you a lot of applications for your Android phone but the problem is you’ll have to try first all the crappy applications on Google Play before you can get yourself to the real software you wanted. On gaming, I’d still go for Nokia; they have HD graphics and 3d support. Nokia supports Bluetooth 3.0 and NFC connection. I think Nokia was the original when it comes to NFC technology; Samsung just copied it and then put it on Samsung S3.

Android and iPhone has taken over that’s why Nokia’s Symbian has been out of the market. Some people wanted to buy Android and iPhone because of their social status. Yes, there are a lot of powerful mobile phones currently out on the market but some people who were using them are not wise enough to use all the phone’s functionalities. Yes, sometimes I envy some of the new mobile phones on the market like the Samsung S3 or the iPhone 4s but I don’t see any difference when using Nokia’s Symbian phone. Just to inform everyone that I was able to use those mobile phones so I could compare. I personally don’t like the idea of Nokia giving up the Symbian platform. Now they are focused on Windows mobile. Based on my observation, Symbian platform brought Nokia to the top of them all when iPhone and Android was still on their early period. Nokia have made a very big mistake giving up Symbian. They should’ve developed it more so people would continue patronizing them. But no matter what, I’d still stick to Symbian. I have no plans of switching to Android or iPhone not until they beat Symbian based on my own specification.