Philippine Discrimination

Posted by Boffill Monday, April 21, 2008
For those who don’t know what Bisaya is, it is a race or ethnicity in the Philippines that covers most of the people from Visayas and Mindanao Islands. I believe that Bisaya is the biggest ethnicity in the Philippines. In my situation, both my parents are Bisaya so I am definitely a pure blooded bisaya. I was raised in Davao City wherein 80% of the population is bisaya and the rest are a combination of Muslims and other ethnics. I was born a bisaya and raised as a bisaya (though we speak tagalong at home). There have been a lot of successful Filipino people that came from our race whether it is in sports, politics, entertainment or business. Unfortunately, some of the people from other ethnics were so mean and so discriminating. After so many years of spending almost my whole life in Davao, I transferred here in Manila due to some personal reasons. Meaning, I need to mingle and be with some people that doesn’t understand bisaya people. On my first few months of staying here, I didn’t expect that there are people that are so mean that they don’t feel that they have already offended me or should I say the bisaya race. Base on what I have observed, it is a stereotype that if a person will learn that he is conversing with a bisaya, he would immediately thinks of a low class person. There was this situation before that I passed by to this group of kids playing on the streets and they were shouting and having fun under the heat of the sun. One kid shouted and mispronounced the word “itlog” to “itlug” and when his playmates heard it, they all laughed and teased the kid saying “Bisaya ka pala? Haha! Bisaya! Bisaya! Bisaya!” and then they ran away from the kid. Listening to them, I was like very mad because of the teasing happened. That event is an evidence of discrimination that even kid are practicing. I wrote this article to educate those racist Filipino people that bisaya are also Filipino and has the right to live normal. Even if it is just teasing or mistreating, that’s discrimination and that is unjust. If you are from a different race, don’t be dominant that it’s as if you own this country. We are all Filipinos and we all have the right to be Filipino. I pity those discriminating people because they are uneducated and undisciplined!

-------------

-------------

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

:) I amazed.. youre not alone who noticed that situation, but i salute to BISDAK coz i found them much influential, educated and intellignts than in TAGALOG guys. the only difference; Manila (Luzon) ang unang na civilized area in the Phil. and most of the artista, models, and high class in lifestyle coming from Luzon the reason may discrimination. but tagalog guys suckz*

Anonymous said...

I live in Manila and was born and raced here both my parents are Ilonggo. I find cebuanos who are being discriminated is somewhat disturbing. I see tagalog people who are doing this are not morally educated they don't know unity as filipinos and respect with one another. It's the Philippine's entertainment media fault for showing the cebuanos funny and low-people in front of Filipino Audience especially the tagalog ones. They didn't expect the negative reactions of tagalog people towards Bisaya people. As far as I know, tagalog youth people are mostly discriminating the visayan people because they are more exposed in Philippine media than the old people. However, not all tagalog people are not like the the fellows who are discriminating.
Philippine media should do something about this to change the people's mind. As we all know, media is a big influence.

Post a Comment