My Sony Xperia Z gets .233 update, a Battery Bug Fix?

Posted by Boffill Friday, June 27, 2014

Last May, Sony have been rolling out the Kitkat update for the Xperia line of phones. It was an update that most users have been waiting for their device and was expecting a very nice improvement from the previous version’s bugs. Me, I have received the update probably 3rd week of May and updated my phone immediately and checked if there is really a big difference from Jellybean to Kitkat. I was actually glad that I was able to receive the update early compared to some Filipino Xperia Z users who haven’t received the update until 1st week of June. Truly there are some improvements like the notification bar, the GUI, etc. After the update, I only noticed one big issue about my phone, the Kitkat update sucks up the battery and will last only for about 3-4 hours from full charge. I was not expecting this bug. It is really a huge problem and I think Sony should do something about it. Sony recognized the issue from their website blaming the Google Play Services that causes the problem so their initial remedy was to let their users remove the update of Google Play Services. I did it on my phone but no avail. I’ve searched online for the fix regarding this issue and there are a lot of tips being offered. There’s even a dedicated application claiming to fix the problem but still no avail. The only solution I ever think of was to downgrade from Kitkat to Jellybean but the problem is I don’t have any idea how to downgrade a Stock ROM. I haven’t tried it yet to an Android phone. Compared to Nokia’s Symbian, upgrading or downgrading (flashing) the phone is too easy but when it comes to Android, it is a bit complicated for me. So, downgrading my phone to Jellybean won’t help me. I just tried some tips online like removing the % on the battery icon, unticking the notification on every application, Greenifying apps, etc. Right now, I’m a bit happy with the result after trying the tips online but I think I deserve something better than this. I think Sony should fix this problem. 


Just recently, .233 update was rolled out again to Sony Xperia users. It’s just a 59mb sized update and I think its Sony’s answer to their customer’s questions. I downloaded the update and installed it. After updating my phone, I don’t know if something has changed, I never revert back my settings to original because I’m afraid I will be experiencing the same problem again. I’ll just search again for the changelogs about this new update. I just hope it is indeed the bug fix. I’ll update this post as soon as I found out what’s with this new update from Sony.